A.J. Sellman Family Funeral Directors

Independent Local Family Funeral Directors You Can Trust...

Serving the areas of Cannock and Penkridge for over 140 years.

What to do When Someone Has Passed Away

After a bereavement, it is usual for people to not know what to do next. Below is some help and guidance that our family feel will be helpful to you. For more help please call A.J.Sellman Funeral Directors and ask to speak to Ralph or Edward Poole or one of our trained members of staff.

Registering a Death

In most cases you will need to register the death within five days and it is best to visit the registrar in the area in which the person died. This will help avoid delays getting the necessary documents. The following people can register a death:

  • Any relative of the person who has died
  • Any person present at the death
  • A person who lives in the house where the person died
  • The person arranging the funeral, but not a funeral director.

To register the death you need to arrange an appointment with the registrar at the registery office. Details of the local registry offices are below. You will need to give the registrar:

  • The full name of the person who has died
  • Their full address
  • Their date of birth
  • Details of where and when the person died
  • Their occupation (if any).
  • Certification (see below)

If the person who has died is a married woman, you will need to give her maiden name and her husband's full name and occupation. Local Registrars

Central Number:
0300 111 8001
Beecroft Road, Cannock.
79a Eastgate Street, Stafford.
Hatherton Road, Walsall.
Haling Dene Centre, Penkridge.

Documents and Certification

You will need to give the registrar:

  • Certificate of Cause of Death (signed by a doctor). You should also bring the following documents where applicable:
    • Birth Certificate
    • Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificates
    • NHS Medical Card.
  • At the register office the registrar will issue you with:
    • A Certificate for Burial or Cremation (known as a green form), which you should give to your funeral director as soon as possible
    • A Certificate of Registration of Death, which you should fill in and send to the social security office for the area where the person died.

You can buy copies of the Death Certificate (sometimes known as the Entry of Death form) from the registrar for a small fee, which varies from region to region. You will need these for official purposes such as closing bank accounts and pension schemes.

What if the coroner is involved?

Under certain circumstances the death must be reported by the doctor, hospital or registrar to the coroner (England and Wales) or procurator fiscal (Scotland).

This means that there will be a post mortem or inquest and you may have to delay your plans for the funeral.

In this case there will be no Cause of Death Certificate. The death will be registered once the coroner has made a decision. The time this takes will vary.

From Your Care into Our Care

Once we have your loved one or friend in our care we will take care for them with respect, dignity and sensitivity at our funeral home.

We recommend hygienic treatment (embalming) because it delays the natural processes that take place after death. This is particularly important if you want to visit the person in the chapel of rest. We wash and dress everyone in our care and we can dress your loved one or friend in their own clothing if you wish.

Our family will carry out your wishes carefully and respectfully but, if you would like to help us look after your loved one, please let us know.

When your loved one or friend is in our care you will need to think about arranging their funeral.